Monday, December 9, 2013

New Year, New Beginning

Second week of Advent. Second week in the church year. I thought really hard about coming back last week. New year, new start and all that jazz. It would’ve been a nice touch, and I honestly don’t know why I didn’t get my ass in gear.  This whole season is full of beginnings and endings though. The winter solstice marks the longest night, the end of the darkness and the return of the light. Second chances and starting overs will happen ad nauseum at the turn of the year. I’m going to get one in now.

My longtime silence here can be explained very easily: I got bored. It’s a roadblock that I’d been warned about, especially trying to read the Bible the way I was going to. To be fair, I did have a fairly busy stretch in that boredom that I might’ve warned you about otherwise… But really, I just got bored.  So I’m going to try something else. I’m going to actually go through that listing at the front of the bible I’ve got that wasn’t my mother’s.  When I hit passages I’ve already covered here, I’ll note when they’re recommended to be read, but I’m going to skip right over reading it a second time. I’m hoping that with the skipping around, I won’t get as bored, and I’ll be able to more easily talk about deeper issues than whose ancestors are whose.  It looks like I’ve got a few chapters of Genesis left to go before the Old Testament lets up for a little while, but now that I’ve got a check list that I can mark off chapters… I’ll feel slightly more accomplished and stick with it.  Like adding smaller and fun things to a to-do list.

And really? Comment. I want some discussion. Disagree with me. Agree with me. Tell me something I didn’t know. Or did know.


<3 Agnostic in the Pews

No comments:

Post a Comment